The Community Rating System (CRS) is a voluntary incentive program that recognizes and encourages community floodplain management activities that exceed the minimum National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) requirements. Only communities that participate in the NFIP are eligible to participate in the CRS program.
Morris County encourages municipalities to participate in the NFIP’s CRS program as a means to offset some of the insurance premium cost for their residents and businesses. Morris County also seeks to promote awareness and knowledge of the NFIP CRS program among municipal officials and property owners who are ultimately responsible for the implementation of local flood hazard mitigation activities.
As part of this effort, Morris County municipalities are encouraged to participate in the Morris County CRS Users Group as a means of advancing knowledge and understanding of the NFIP CRS program. The Users group meets 3-4 times annually to provide networking and educational opportunities for its members.
The CRS users group falls under the umbrella of the Morris County CRS Assistance Program, which was developed as a means to provide certain professional and technical support to municipalities that are in need of such aid.
- Next CRS Users group meeting is May 14, 2019 at 9am, Lincoln Park Municipal Building, Community Room
Municipalities with questions regarding this program and group should contact:
Virginia Michelin, Program Coordinator
Other CRS Users Groups in New Jersey
- Monmouth County CRS Assistance Program
- Ocean County CRS Users Group
- Middlesex County CRS Users Group (website coming soon)
Morris County CRS Assistance Program
- Freeholder Resolution Creating the CRS Assistance Program
- CRS Program Rules and Regulations
- Morris County Flood Resources Webpage
- CRS Webinars (online training)
- 2017 CRS Coordinator’s Manual
- CRS Resources Home
- FEMA Effective FIRM and Preliminary FIRM Comparison Tool
- FEMA Map Service Center
- FEMA / Emergency Management Institute (EMI) Course Schedule (E0278 – NFIP/Community Rating System)
- FEMA National Flood Insurance Program Community Rating System
- FEMA’s Preliminary and Pending National Flood Hazard Layers (ArcGIS Online website)
- The National Flood Insurance Program
- NFIP Program Changes: April 1, 2018 and January 1, 2019
- Flood Insurance Manual, Effective October 1, 2018